Sunday, August 8, 2010

Srirangam

It was quite an unplanned trip and I had to book the tickets in a hurry as they were the last ones. This would be one of my very light weight travel and I started quite early expecting to reach the bus stop well in time. Though the bus started late, I reached Trichy well ahead of dawn.

I got a room in a nearby hotel and after shower took a bus to the temple town- Srirangam. 


The Raja Gopuram was huge I was awestruck by its magnitude. With my eyes and mouth wide open gazing at the height of the tower, I forgot I was standing in the middle of the road deaf to the honking vehicles behind me.There was even a town inside the main prakaram.

I settled for breakfast at a restaurant just near by the main entrance having full view of the Gopuram. I realized the food and the bus rides were cheap though they sold the cool drinks much over the MRP mentioned on them. I protested at one shop and moved to another and saw it was over priced too. With thirst asking me to damn the pricing procedures, I settled down with a water bottle and moved in.

I was right on time inside the temple. Many of the smaller temples inside have just now finished their morning rituals and was open for Darshan. The pillars and the wall of the temples were a treat to the eyes and I was just left with one thought, how can these be build in those days, before the innovation of all these modern tools of architecture. The temple was clean and the chants of bhajan filled the air. The renovated old temple was filled with a divine ambiance and so were the growing noise of the tourists of all kind- rustic, elite, foreign, young and old. 

Hawkers were plenty trying to sell everything to you. I heard one young man calling up to me and trying to sell an yantra that will get me married soon. A handsome man he was with a sweet smile. I never knew how he imagined I'm single. Giving him a smile, I turned around and thought, if you are so keen on seeing me married, why don't we get married. Chucking inside me, I walked along. 

Unlike other temples I have visited, those seeking alms were not obvious in the first instance, but they were in the disguise of guides, temple priests and uncanny onlookers. There was a priest who waved and called me inside a small temple and almost demanded money for the evening pradhosham pooja. There was the priest who explained me about the procedure to stand in queue and the various ticket prices for the darshan and at the end was giving me a look of expecting money. There was the old woman neatly dressed and calling everyone saying she was very hungry and asked for food. There was the old man selling prasadams and seeking tips from the change he was about to return. I was not sure which one could be a genuine one or which one is not. I gave money to all those old priests and food for those men and women who said were hungry. I refused, those who looked young and seemingly healthy. But who knows what their inner condition is, may be they are not able to work because of some disease which is not visible outside. Charity always leaves me with mixed feelings.

There were four types of darshan queue to see the main deity. One was free for everyone. The others were charged Rs. 20, Rs. 50 and Rs. 250. For each of them the time to see Him varies incrementally. The more you pay, the less time you 'waste' in the queue. The usual philosophy of Indian Temples. Inside the temple, though you may be equal in the eyes of God, but to see him a little longer one may need a little influence from the humans around. A little flaunting of wealth and power always helps to get their attention and to be treated and seen 'differently'. 


At the end of the day, after a short visit to Malaikottai, I reached the bus stop to take my bus home. And them I realized I had booked my return ticket for the wrong date- yesterday. The usual mistake I do with online reservation. Finally, I reached home in the morning with a new ticket.  

After a visit to these temples, I always swear I would never visit a temple again which treats people by class. But soon I will forget and would prepare myself for another visit. I would think why is God a mere spectator to all this. May be he is teaching a lesson, not for others but to me- to seek his blessings in my mind not  encourage this split treatment to the human race at the so called holy places. May be he is teaching this lesson to many others too.


I will visit many more temples, to enjoy the beauty of the place, the architectural marvels created by blessed craftsmen. To learn about religion and the mythological significance behind its creations. But to seek his blessings, I don't have to be in those places. I have it now and ever and everywhere.

No comments: