Monday, August 9, 2010

Blind Man's Elephant

I knew him for a couple of months now and he is one of those confidant at work whom I can ramble freely with. I go lunch with him everyday and I miss him when he is not in office. He is one open book when it comes to sharing things. Never hides who he his and is always comfortable with people. I have seen him build friendship with a lot of people because of his quality- that makes everyone trust him. 


Not long ago, he was discussing on how he wants to adopt a baby. It seems when he got married, the couple together decided to adopt a child when they would bring a child into this world on their own. Now that his wife is pregnant, he is giving it a serious thought. He shared his thoughts to me and I put forth my views and suggestions- the pros, cons and the alternatives. I know he is giving it a serious thought.

Over the past few days, he is visibly anxious and nervous. His wife has reached the last stages of pregnancy and is awaiting doctors word on what to do next. He used to discuss in length on the options they have with respect to child birth. He explained me the advantages of a normal delivery and a c-section. He used to explain me the different stages of pregnancy and the indications and symptoms when its time for the child birth. Though it always fascinates me everything about a baby, I have never imagined a situation where I would be waiting for a child's birth. Sensing that feeling in me, he sometime would add, all the information that he said now would one day help me.

His marriage was a courageous one, where he fought and married his beloved. Since his parents were not treating his wife good, he had sent his wife to her parents home for the delivery. Now just separated by distance and the thread of love connecting them strong, the about to be parents would see each other only during weekends. Other days it will be just conversations on the phone. He used to tell me how he felt separated by distance when she needs him the most and being so far at these situations drives him crazy. He will be sometimes visibly anxious and tensed and would be sweating profusely when he gets a call from her. It will be a easy guess for me, may be his wife is in the hospital for the regular check up and he is getting updates.

Today after so many anxious days and months, he got a call from his wife. It seems the doctor has said the child is healthy now and it is better to perform an operation and remove the baby. We were at lunch and he stopped eating. He said he could not eat any further with the thought of him becoming a father. His eyes were moist and voice chocked with happiness and anxiety. He expressed his disbelief and the good feeling in him that he will soon be a father. 

It was so nice to see him smile and cry with happiness. While he left home that evening it was bliss, anxiety and every emotions unknown to me on his face. Latter tonight, when he was about to board the bus to see his wife, he had sent messages to all his friends asking them to pray for his family. I replied, I will and I wish to see him as a proud and happy father on his return. 


Though I know I'm a blind man trying to feel the elephant when it comes to parenthood, it nevertheless made me happy.


I pray and wish I finish this posting in a couple of days with a happy news. 

Update on 11-Aug-2010:
Its a baby girl :)

No comments: