Monday, April 25, 2011

A trip to the past

As I neared the place, I felt someone was chasing me in the bike. The same smile swept my face and I looked through the window of my bus. None I knew was there. Though its been years I visited the place last, it just felt the same way as it did that very first day. Unlike the anxiety and excitement I had the fist time, I was just very calm. My motive for this visit is very simple. To re-visit that moment and re-create the first day we spent together. I've always been fine living with my memories adorning my present.


I wanted to go the restaurant where we had our first dinner together. I still remember he was too concerned whether or not I would like the place and the food there. I wanted to sit on the rock at the beach where we spoke for a long time that night. I wanted to get a glimpse of his home where we spent our night latter. I wanted to have my lunch at the restaurant in the colonial building and the juice shop where we both watched tv. I also wanted to go to the temple we first visited together. And finally wanted to bid bye as the bus would start and take me back home.


Soon after landing in the bus stop, I realized I have grown old. I could not remember a single name- the restaurant, the street, the shop or a place. I kept walking as far as I can in hope of finding the restaurant we had our dinner. Could not find it. I hired an auto and told to him reach some locality and was wandering without an address to find his home. Every street and house resembled his home. Not sure what to do, I mentioned the temple name we visited and he drove me there. I remembered the juice shop and the colonial restaurant where we had lunch were near the temple. I reached the temple, it was still the same- modern yet nice.


I walked around the place and found all the streets looked almost similar and I could not locate the restaurant. I remember the school he studied and stood before the gates where he once was proudly telling me stories about it. I walked some more. I asked for directions. None were able to help me with my hint- a juice shop at the corner that had a tv and a restaurant that is nice.


Finally I gave up on the juice shop and restaurant. I went to the temple. When I took the holy ash near my forehead, I got reminded on how he was eagerly waiting for that moment that day and he did it for me. With a smile I sat in the same place we both sat in silence. Before I started this trip, I was resolved that I should only feel happy for those moments we spent together. Never think about the present. However, when I realized my eyes are getting moist, I was filled with guilt that I might be unhappy. I was worried that my unhappiness might cast a spell or something on him and will create troubles for him. I prayed God that He should keep him happy no matter what. I left the temple before the welled up tears formed a stream.


I walked towards the beach. I was able to recognize some place there. The place where he parked his bike and the closed ice-cream shop where he wanted to buy me something. Its a Sunday evening and the beach was pretty crowded. I liked people watching. The entire beach stretch is filled with boulders of huge rocks. Its impossible to locate ours where we sat. I settled myself on one of them. I remember him explaining about those rock posts in the middle of the sea. I kept staring on the endless sea and the merging sky and the strong breeze. It seemed as if the roaring sea, the passing clouds and the wind spoke to me and assured me- he is doing well and will be taken care. I knew my trip is complete just hearing that.


I started back home, peeping out of the window hoping to get a glimpse of his face one more time.
He was there again, chasing me in his bike and waving me bye.
My memories are stronger than I thought. 

No comments: